Besides being the most romantic language and the language of love, French is considered today as the most practical foreign language and is the second most frequently taught language after English.
HERE ARE SOME EXCELLENT REASONS TO STUDY FRENCH:
• French is the only language besides English to be spoken on 5 continents around the world and is the official language of 32 countries. French speakers can be understood in more than 56 countries by more than 200 million people who use it in their daily life.
• French is an official working language of several international organizations and institutions such as the United Nations, UNESCO, NATO, OECD, the International Labor Bureau, the International Olympic Committee, the International Red Cross and international courts. Proficiency in French is a prerequisite for anyone interested in a career in an international organization.
• French plays a major role in the European Union. French is the dominant working language at the European Court of Justice, the European Tribunal of First Instance and the Press Room at the European Commission in Brussels, Belgium.
• French artists, writers, musicians, singers, fashion designers, chefs and filmmakers are prestigious throughout the world making French a culturally important foreign language. Learning French will take you on a spectacular cultural journey into the world of fashion, gastronomy, the arts, architecture and literature.
• French is the perfect language to study other languages. French is very useful in learning other Romance languages like Spanish, Italian or Portuguese as well as English since approximately 40% of modern English vocabulary evolved from French. As you learn French, you will enhance your English grammar and vocabulary skills.
• French is a language for tourism. Today France is one of the world’s major tourist destinations and more than 60 million people visit it every year. Several regions of France are renowned and attract numerous visitors. Knowing some French will definitely make your trip and experience of France much more enjoyable!!
• French is a major language of many high-tech companies and other businesses throughout the world. French proficiency will increase your career opportunities and salary potential. Today more than 1,200 French companies have subsidiaries in the United States and more than 2,000 American companies have subsidiaries in France. France is a world leader in the development of modern telecommunications, a market with massive growth potential.
• In the United States French also plays an important role. In the 2000 U.S. Federal Census 10,659,350 Americans claimed French (8,309,666) or French Canadian ancestry. Montreal is the second largest city of native French speakers after Paris and is across the border from the state of New York. Canada, whose largest province is Quebec, is the number one trading partner of the United States. The state of Louisiana is listing French as an official language.